Penguins are more than just adorable, they also play a valuable role in our ecosystem. Penguin Awareness Day helps remind us of their beauty and importance.
The number of existing penguin species is debated, varying between 17 and 20. The International Union for Conservation of Nature’s Red List of Threatened Species, the world’s most comprehensive information source on the global extinction risk status of animal, fungus and plant species, lists 18 penguin species. Five of these species are listed as endangered and twelve are decreasing in population.
What good can you do:
– Learn: You can look at the education section of the Global Penguin Society as well as other online resources and books.
– Donate: Some penguin organizations request financial support.
– Adopt: World Wildlife Fund allows you to symbolically adopt a penguin.
– Share: You can share penguin data with others so they can get involved.
- Penguin International
- Global Penguin Society
- Penguin Foundation
- World Wildlife Fund
- Wildlife Conservation Network
I took this photo of a southern rockhopper penguin on a trip through the Antarctic.